The SARSVL Peer Support Group has come together to collect ideas for how friends, relatives, and loved ones can go about supporting survivors.
- Remind me it’s not my fault, and do this often
- Respect my safe place – I need to go there sometimes
- Remind me that what I am going through is a normal reaction to what has happened
- Ask me what I need to feel safe
- When I feel low, remind me of the good things in my life
- Give me hope, something to look forward to
- Help me ground myself
- Don’t let me dwell on the past
- Give me space to vent
- Be aware that something might trigger a learned reaction in my body
- Plan for us to do something together
- Just listen
- Tell me how you’re feeling and how my behaviour might be affecting you
- Distract me from what’s going on in my head
Above all, tell me that it’s ok to not be ok.