Our helpline is a much needed service offering support to women and girls who have been affected by rape or sexual violence at any time in their lives.
Firstly, please check the dates and times of the Selection Day and training course (see below) which takes place in our Leeds city centre premises. If you can’t make even just one of these you won’t be able to do the course this time, so please do not submit an application if you can’t commit to all the sessions.
The role involves providing non directive supportive listening and emotional support to women and girls on the phone, via text and email, and face to face.
To find out more about SARSVL and becoming a Helpline Volunteer please read our Volunteer Info Pack Spring 2018
You can download our Helpline Volunteer Application Form below or contact email@example.com with your full name and address to request a paper copy.
The dates are shown below. You must be able to attend every training session and the Selection evening in order for your application to be considered.
- Selection Day: Saturday 10th March, 9.30 -16.30
- Violence against women and rape: Saturday 17th March, 9.30-16.30
- Listening Skills 1: Thursday 22nd March, 17.45-20.45
- Listening Skills 2: Thursday 29th March, 17.45-20.45
- Oppression: Thursday 5th April, 17.45-20.45
- Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse: Thursday 12th April, 17.45-20.45
- Listening Skills 3: Thursday 19th April, 17.45-20.45
- Listening Skills 4: Thursday 26th April, 17.45-20.45
- Child Sexual Exploitation and Trafficking: Thursday 3rd May, 17.45-20.45
- Listening Skills 5: Thursday 10th May, 17.45-20.45
- Email and Text Emotional Support: Saturday 19th May, 9.30-16.30
- Face to Face Emotional Support and Record Keeping: Saturday 26th May, 9.30-16.30
- Good Practice and Overview: Saturday 2nd June, 9.30-16.30
- Post Course Interviews: Thursday 7th June, 17.45-20.45
I want to be a helpline volunteer – what do I do next?
1. To become a helpline volunteer firstly please read through our Volunteer Info Pack Spring 2018, and check that you are available to attend all the training dates.
2. ONLY if you are able to attend ALL the dates shown please download and complete our Helpline Volunteer Application Form and return it to us at the address on the form.
3. Please also complete and return the Equality and Diversity Questionnaire
You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper copy, or for large print materials.
We’ll then review your application and invite you to attend the Selection Day where you’ll have an opportunity to meet current volunteers and find out loads more about us. There will be a short informal interview.
Once you’ve passed the selection day you’ll be invited to attend the training course. This is an intensive course consisting of 12 sessions that will prepare you for the work of a helpline volunteer. You’ll learn about the politics and social context of sexual violence as well as learning the practical skills needed to be a helpline volunteer.
As each session builds on what you learn in the previous one, you’ll need to attend all the sessions in order to pass the course. This is essential, so please do make sure you are available for all the sessions.
We’re particularly keen to receive applications from women who can help us to more fully reflect the community that we serve, particularly Black and Minority Ethnic women, Disabled women, and women aged over 50.
Please help our volunteer recruitment campaign by sharing this information with friends and colleagues you think might be interested. You can Download a Poster here to print and share.
Completed forms must reach us no later than 5pm on 27th February. Applications received after this deadline will not be considered.